Relating to, resembling, or containing opium: the use of opiate drugs
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Anti-cancer drugs and radiotherapy commonly produce nausea and vomiting, as do other drugs active in the central nervous system, including opiate pain killers (morphine, heroin) and also alcohol.
- The project, the first of its kind in the York area, aims to help addicts of heroin and other opiate drugs such as methadone.
- By using opiate analgesics and sedatives to provide comfort to a dying patient, we risk depressing respirations and causing hypotension, which may hasten death.
1A drug with morphinelike effects, derived from opium.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The specimens are tested for marijuana, cocaine, opiates, amphetamines, PCP, and five other drugs.
- There is no difference between men and women on lifetime prevalence of cannabis, cocaine, amphetamines, opiates, or sedatives.
- On the other hand, the state increased its regulation of legally manufactured drugs such as amphetamine, opiates, opioids, and, to a lesser extent, barbiturates and tranquilizers.
verbo[with object] (often as adjective opiated)
- Something regarded as inducing a false and unrealistic sense of contentment among people.Translating the German phrase Opium des Volks, used by Karl Marx in reference to religion (1844)Oraciones de ejemplo
- Big government is not just the opiate of the masses.
- The priest mentioned Marx's line about religion as the opiate of the masses.
- Welfare is the opiate of the masses.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: o·pi·ate
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda