Definición de optative en inglés:
Relating to or denoting a mood of verbs in Greek and other languages, expressing a wish, equivalent to English expressions if only.
- This is not simply to avoid criticisms of judgment speech by translating it from the indicative to the optative mood.
- The old neoplatonic shadow of what Emerson in ‘The Transcendentalist’ calls an ‘optative mood,’ reconciling textual particular and idealist consciousness, is not as far away here as one might initially imagine.
- The second sentence transforms the first from an indicative statement of fact into something more like an optative expression of desire.
sustantivoVolver al principio
1.1 (the optative) The optative mood.
- Example sentences
- It can also be rendered optatively as in our English versions.
- Of forms having a modal sense, how many are used subjunctively and how many optatively?
Definición de optative en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan