Definición de orthoepy en inglés:
1The correct or accepted pronunciation of words.
- The name of the organization created to further Basic, the Orthological Institute, echoes such terms as orthodoxy, orthography, and orthoepy.
- Some letters and combinations of letters depend in their orthoepy upon the etymology of the word.
- According to Herodian - the ancient authority on orthoepy - the word should be pronounced as proparoxytone.
1.1The study of correct or accepted pronunciation.
- In addition to the subjects of Reading and Orthoepy, English. Grammar, English Literature, British History and Canadian History.
- THE spoken word comes to the ear. It is a sound, and can be studied. The branch of knowledge that tells us all about it, is called orthoepy.
mid 17th century: from Greek orthoepeia 'correct speech', from orthos 'right or straight' + epos, epe- 'word'.
- Example sentences
- Axmatovas pronunciation corresponds with the orthoepic norm to a lesser extent than Pasternaks.
- Good pronunciation is defined not as adherence to some strict orthoepic norm but as a range of variation that nonetheless permits "une communication".
Definición de orthoepy en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan