Definición de palatalize en inglés:
verbo[with object] Phonetics
1Make (a speech sound) palatal, especially by changing a velar to a palatal by moving the point of contact between tongue and palate further forward in the mouth.
- These transformations have led, in fact, to some of the most distinguishing characteristics of the different branches of the IE family (e.g. the ‘soft’ palatalized consonants in the Slavic languages).
- Elsewhere, when followed by unstressed i and another vowel, t is commonly palatalized to produce the voiceless palato-alveolar fricative sh sound.
- Such consonants are phonetically palatalized, and in the International Phonetic Alphabet they are indicated by a superscript 'j'.
- Example sentences
- Linguistically, palatalization is a phonological process in which a sound takes on a palatal place of articulation usually in assimilation to a neighboring palatal sound such as /i/ and /y/.
- Investigation of the social distribution of palatalization shows that women's speeches reflect frequent and advanced palatalization, while men's do not.
- For example, in Jamaican Creole the palatalization of /k/ and /g/ as in /kyar/ ‘car’ and /gwain/ ‘going’ were customary in some of the varieties of British English transported to Jamaica in the eighteenth century.
Definición de palatalize en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan