- 1A low protective wall along the edge of a roof, bridge, or balcony.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And it is true that the young have always been in love with edges, walking the parapet of a bridge when the pavement is right beside it.
- You should be sure to form a parapet around the edges of the flat roof in order to contain your new upside-down roof from wind uplift.
- Three young men had a lucky escape after their car left the road, ploughed through a bridge parapet and ended up on its roof in a river.
- 1.1A protective wall or earth defense along the top of a trench or other place of concealment for troops.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The German soldiers even had a line of little Christmas trees along the parapets of their trenches.
- Harry heard the scream of an incoming shell, as he went to dive for cover, the round burst on the parapet, directly above him.
- The Saxons started to put up small conifers on the parapets of their trenches - akin to our Christmas trees.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The structure is capped with a low hipped-roof with a central transverse parapeted gable flanked by hipped dormers.
- The east facade has a parapeted gable with high roundel window with a group of 4 lancet windows below.
late 16th century: from French, or from Italian parapetto 'breast-high wall', from para- 'protecting' + petto 'breast' (from Latin pectus).