1A strong supporter of a party, cause, or person.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Also, the fact that party partisans are put in charge of running the elections is crazy and is an obvious conflict of interest.
- Democratic partisans believe they smell blood in the water, and their instinct is to swarm.
- Today, as in the past, chefs are grouped into ‘schools’ with debates raging between the partisans of one and supporters of another.
supporter, follower, adherent, devotee, champion;
fanatic, fan, enthusiast, stalwart, zealot, booster
2A member of an armed group formed to fight secretly against an occupying force, in particular one operating in enemy-occupied Yugoslavia, Italy, and parts of eastern Europe in World War II.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Giovanni Pesce fought with the partisans during the Second World War.
- Whether the same is true in the realm of the very small - the warfare of guerrillas, partisans, and terrorists - is more difficult to say.
- He reminded listeners that in 1943 Yugoslav partisans in Serbia fought against numerically superior German forces and won.
guerrilla, freedom fighter, resistance fighter, underground fighter, irregular (soldier)
Prejudiced in favor of a particular cause: newspapers have become increasingly partisan
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It is part of the sincerity of rational arguments that they are never knowingly glosses for partisan prejudices.
- Of course, many of those who were right about the war were only right because of their own partisan prejudices.
- It's getting very hard to attribute these kinds of responses to sheer ignorance - or even partisan bias.
biased, prejudiced, one-sided, discriminatory, colored, partial, interested, sectarian, factional
Mid 16th century: from French, via Italian dialect from Italian partigiano, from parte 'part' (from Latin pars, part-).
Palabras que riman con partisanAberfan, Adrianne, an, Anne, artisan, astrakhan, ban, began, Belmopan, bipartisan, bran, can, Cannes, Cézanne, Cheyenne, clan, courtesan, cran, dan, Dayan, Diane, divan, élan, Elan, fan, flan, foreran, Fran, Friedan, Gell-Mann, gran, Han, Hunan, Ivan, Jan, Japan, Jinan, Joanne, Kazan, Klan, Kordofan, Lacan, Lausanne, Leanne, Limousin, Louvain, man, Mann, Marianne, Milan, Moran, nan, Oran, outran, outspan, Pan, panne, parmesan, pavane, pecan, Pétain, plan, Pusan, ran, rataplan, rattan, Rosanne, Sagan, Saipan, saran, scan, scran, sedan, span, spick-and-span, Spokane, Suzanne, Tainan, tan, than, tisane, trepan, van, vin, Wuhan, Xian, Yerevan, Yunnan, Zhongshan
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: par·ti·san
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda