An athletic event comprising five different events for each competitor, in particular (also modern pentathlon) a men’s event involving fencing, shooting, swimming, riding, and cross-country running.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Thorpe was the sensation of the 1912 Stockholm Olympics and won the pentathlon and decathlon gold medals by huge margins.
- The 1912 Olympics in Stockholm are best remembered for Jim Thorpe's world record successes in the most demanding track and field events, the pentathlon and the decathlon.
- After winning the pentathlon at the Olympic Games, probably in 444 BC, he went on to write one of the first training manuals.
early 17th century (denoting the original five events of leaping, running, discus-throwing, spear-throwing, and wrestling): from Greek, from pente 'five' + athlon 'contest'.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- A Russian athlete and a modern pentathlete failed recent dope tests, Russian Olympic officials said yesterday, giving details of previously announced cases.
- Modern pentathletes complete five events in a single day
- She is the first British female modern pentathlete to qualify for the Olympic Games.
Definición de pentathlon en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional