- At some level, if a guy is pathologically committed to perpetrating fraud, you're not going to be able to stop him very often.
- Why do these criminals feel they can perpetrate such horrendous crimes and get away with it?
- Violent suppression and opinion monopoly are used by all totalitarian political systems for the purpose of perpetrating their immoral rule.
To perpetrate something is to commit it: the gang perpetrated outrages against several citizens. To perpetuate something is to cause it to continue or to keep happening: the stories only serve to perpetuate the legend that the house is haunted.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Four youths were arrested on criminal charges, including third-degree assault, harassment and perpetration of a hate crime.
- Instead, the indictment charges him with having planned, ordered, instigated, or assisted in the perpetration of these crimes.
- To my way of thinking, ‘crime’ is defined as the perpetration of harm upon an ‘innocent’ victim.
Mid 16th century: from Latin perpetrat- 'performed', from the verb perpetrare, from per- 'to completion' + patrare 'bring about'. In Latin the act perpetrated might be good or bad; in English the verb was first used in the statutes referring to crime, hence the negative association.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: per·pe·trate
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.