1The desire to promote the welfare of others, expressed especially by the generous donation of money to good causes.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The greater generosity of Conservatives reflects the value they place on individual philanthropy above publicly-funded welfare services.
- Another implication of prioritising private philanthropy over state welfare is to suggest that if you're rich, you * should * help those on the other end of the scale.
- He has betrayed those who, out of genuine philanthropy, donated money to his campaigns.
benevolence, generosity, humanitarianism, public-spiritedness, altruism, social conscience, charity, charitableness, brotherly love, fellow feeling, magnanimity, munificence, liberality, largesse, openhandedness, bountifulness, beneficence, unselfishness, humanity, kindness, kindheartedness, compassion
1.1North American A philanthropic institution; a charity.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Local philanthropies, chiefly the Pew Charitable Trusts, the Lenfest Foundation and the Annenberg Foundation, pledged to help raise $150 million to guarantee the Barnes's future.
- Flexner became secretary of the new Rockefeller Foundation's General Education Board, which heavily funded Johns Hopkins and a few other medical schools and led other philanthropies to follow suit.
- In May 2000, the Pew Charitable Trusts, one of the nation's largest philanthropies, launched the Pew Oceans Commission, co-chaired by New Jersey Gov.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The population of unselfish genes will dwindle generation after generation until the contributors to the larger good have philanthropized themselves out of existence.
Early 17th century: via late Latin from Greek philanthrōpia, from philanthrōpos 'man-loving' (see philanthrope).
Palabras que riman con philanthropylycanthropy, misanthropy
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: phi·lan·thro·py
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda