A bivalve mollusk that bores into soft rock or other firm surfaces. The valves of the shell have a conspicuous gap between them and rough frontal ridges to aid in boring.
- Pholas and other genera, family Pholadidae
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In SE Asia piddocks may be boiled and eaten with sauce and rice, or sautéed with shallots, or made into a curry.
- The piddock has a thin, brittle shell that is similar in shape and sculpturing on both sides.
- Some boring shellfish bore with chemistry, but the American piddock is a mechanical borer repetitively grinding its shell with a rotating movement backward and forward to create a burrow for itself in softer substrates in the shallows of the intertidal zones.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Definición de piddock en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional