Definición de pidgin en inglés:
sustantivo[often as modifier]
1A grammatically simplified form of a language, used for communication between people not sharing a common language. Pidgins have a limited vocabulary, some elements of which are taken from local languages, and are not native languages, but arise out of language contact between speakers of other languages. Compare with Creole (sense 2) of the noun).
- Only at a later stage in its development does the pidgin develop productive internal resources for expanding its lexicon.
- There is, however, some disagreement among scholars over the number of languages in sufficient contact to produce a pidgin.
- Creolization can take place at any point during the pidgin's life cycle, ranging from a jargon to an expanded pidgin.
1.2 [as modifier] Denoting a simplified form of a language, especially as used by a nonnative speaker: we exchanged greetings, communicating in pidgin Spanish
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The staff was very friendly - went to a great deal of effort to understand our pidgin Japanese!
- Monica Ali tells Hasina's part of the story through her letters to her sister in pidgin Bengali, rendered into pidgin English.
- The peddler approaches the narrator adopting a pidgin English.
late 19th century: Chinese alteration of English business.