- The leading business association even advocated a ‘no’ vote in the 1999 plebiscite on the new constitution.
- This involves not one but three votes in two plebiscites and one federal referendum - and heaven knows how many state votes.
- There could be no question of a plebiscite on a constitution, after what had happened in Piedmont, and Napoleon was not one to waste time with constituent assemblies.
- Dionysius can cite a plebiscite of 492 protecting a tribune from interruption at a public meeting,
- From then on legislation was formulated more and more by means of plebiscites.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Furthermore, the plebiscitary presidency is dependent upon the creation of ‘spectacles’ that encourage awestruck citizens to become passive spectators rather than active participants in politics.
- Twentieth-century totalitarians - fascists and communists - felt constrained to bow toward popular sovereignty with plebiscitary forms.
- The Good Friday agreement's plebiscitary clauses in Northern Ireland are also rife with inflammatory possibilities, jeopardizing the losers' future.
Mid 16th century (referring to Roman history): from French plébiscite, from Latin plebiscitum, from plebs, pleb- 'the common people' + scitum 'decree' (from sciscere 'vote for'). The sense 'direct vote of the whole electorate' dates from the mid 19th century.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: pleb·i·scite
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.