Inflammation of the pleurae, which impairs their lubricating function and causes pain when breathing. It is caused by pneumonia and other diseases of the chest or abdomen.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He learned to recognize pneumonia, bronchiectasis, pleurisy, emphysema, pneumothorax, phthisis, and other lung diseases from the sounds he heard with his stethoscope.
- I accept her evidence that recurring pneumonia and pleurisy and an arthritic condition significantly interfered with that effort in the spring of 2002.
- The sole patient with benign pleural disease showing a mediastinal pleural involvement on MRI was identified pathologically as tuberculous pleurisy.
late Middle English: from Old French pleurisie, from late Latin pleurisis, alteration of earlier Latin pleuritis, from Greek pleura 'side of the body, rib'.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Pleural tuberculosis often is an acute illness with cough, pleuritic chest pain, fever, or dyspnea.
- Symptoms during 18 other procedures (including cough, dyspnea, pleuritic chest pain and a combination of these symptoms) raised the suspicion of pneumothorax.
- Patients may be asymptomatic or may present in a subacute fashion with fever, nonproductive cough, pleuritic chest pain, dyspnea, hemoptysis, and weight loss.
Definición de pleurisy en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional