A Hawaiian dish made from the fermented root of the taro, which has been baked and pounded to a paste.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Their diet consisted primarily of poi (pounded taro); pork, coconut, and all but three varieties of banana were denied them.
- While its famous thick and juicy hamburgers remain a menu highlight, other items also win praise, like ahi katsu, shrimp tempura, laulau, poi, rice, macaroni salad, lomi salmon and kalua pig.
- Japanese manju (sweet black bean pastry), Portuguese sweet bread, Chinese noodles or crispy duck, and spicy Korean kim chee are as easy to find as Hawaiian poi, which is served as the traditional island staple.
Of Polynesian origin.
Palabras que riman con poiahoy, alloy, Amoy, annoy, boy, buoy, cloy, coy, destroy, employ, enjoy, Hanoi, hoi polloi, hoy, Illinois, joy, koi, oi, ploy, Roy, savoy, soy, tatsoi, toy, trompe l'œil, troy
Definición de poi en:
- Diccionario Inglés británico e internacional
Entrada del diccionario de Inglés británico e internacional
sustantivo (plural igual or pois)
A small light ball of woven flax, swung rhythmically on the end of a string in Maori action songs and dances: [as modifier]: a poi dance
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- When I asked what this meant, she replied, ‘They wear plastic piu-pius (skirts which were traditionally made from flax) and use plastic pois (small balls attached to a string and used mostly in women's dances)’.
- God knows how long we're there for - we're having such a great time the hours fly by - but somehow we end up back at the Stone Circle watching the fire pois
- I averted my eyes from the roadworks scar, and we emerged from the gravelled gloom of Palmer Street by the Community Centre where, in the park, we stumbled into an accidental circus of people drumming, and whirling fiery pois and staffs.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda