Definición de polygenesis en inglés:
1.1 Biology The hypothetical origination of a race or species from a number of independent stocks. Compare with polygeny.
- For example, it seems to be the ground of his preference for monogenesis - the theory that the races are descended from a common stock - over polygenesis - the theory that the races have different origins.
- The Southern opponents of polygenesis even employed many of the same arguments and sources used by abolitionists to attack white prejudice.
1.2The hypothetical origination of language or of a surname from a number of independent sources in different places at different times.
- Proponents of polygenesis hold that the concept of genetic relatedness between languages is inaccurate.
- Both of Edo Nyland's theses are in contradiction to current opinions of linguists, who tend to suppose polygenesis of language families and language changes caused by natural evolution.
Definición de polygenesis en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan