Definición de pork barrel en inglés:
sustantivoNorth American informal
The use of government funds for projects designed to please voters or legislators and win votes: political pork barrel for the benefit of their respective sponsors [as modifier]: wasteful, pork-barrel spending
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- At the same time, support for the package was assured through a series of corrupt deals that earmarked billions of dollars in funding for pork-barrel projects for legislators' home districts.
- Congress pork-barrel spends and earmarks all of this money while we have enlisted families on food stamps.
- Yet it will be hard to please congressmen while cutting their pork barrel, and as usual, no one seems very eager to cut middle-class entitlement programs.
figuratively, from the use of such a barrel by farmers, to keep a reserve supply of meat.
- Example sentences
- Case work and pork-barrelling - the supposed mainstays of congressional politics - are not easily amenable to environmental policy (except for limited specific projects such as designated research labs).
- Hence, his nationalist and scapegoating appeals on such issues as refugees, terrorism and Aboriginal programs, which often has been combined with blatant pork-barrelling and protectionism in favour of local businesses.
- It is no surprise that young voters are remarkably cynical about politics and elections and don't respond to the well-worn path of pork-barrelling and self-interest that is used to appeal to other demographics.
Definición de pork barrel en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan