Definición de pothole en inglés:
1A deep natural underground cavity formed by the erosion of rock, especially by the action of water.
- Bats spend the summer living in trees and buildings, and retreat to caves and potholes in winter, to hibernate.
- A prehistoric occupation site was discovered at the bottom of a hollow some 600 sq. m. in area, resulting from the collapse of an underground pothole.
- The second feature is a deep cave or pothole on Wet Rain Hill, just above Liz's Burn, called Bell Hollow.
1.1A deep circular hole in a riverbed formed by the erosion of the rock by the rotation of stones in an eddy.
- Some environmental activists yesterday inspect the Nuanjiang section of the Keelung River, where geologically unique potholes are to be found.
- They inhabit swift streams, the backwaters of large rivers, brackish lagoons, and potholes.
- Balanced on a log suspended over a glacial pothole, she is searching the foot-deep water for endangered howellia and their delicate white florets no bigger than her baby finger.
1.2A depression or hollow in a road surface caused by wear or subsidence.
- The 4x4 can much more easily deal with his potholes and appalling road surfaces.
- Tar is soluble in fossil fuels like diesel and petrol and oil spill loosens the road surface and potholes begin to form.
- Our roads are full of potholes and irregular surfacing.
1.3 (also pothole lake) North American A pond in a natural hollow in the ground.
- The rolling hills of northern Wisconsin's glacial kettle moraine are densely forested with hardwoods, birch and aspen and pitted with potholes and lakes.
- The valley is wet, the high benches are pocked with pothole lakes, springs, and ponds, and mastodons browse along a braided watercourse snaking across the bottomland at the foot of the cliff.
- The refuge's north unit contains the 8,700-acre Medicine Lake, eight smaller lakes, and numerous pothole wetlands.
- Example sentences
- Thankfully someone had the bright idea to water down the dusty potholed road between Laborie and Piaye.
- And as a result of all the growth, plush restaurants have popped up beside the potholed roads and property prices have shot up, especially for trendy condominiums.
- Miscarraiges, dislocated shoulders, broken bones, damaged axels there is enough reason for people to be concerned over the city's potholed roads.
Definición de pothole en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary