- 1An instruction written by a medical practitioner that authorizes a patient to be provided a medicine or treatment: he scribbled a prescription for tranquilizers antidepressants available only by prescription [as modifier]: prescription drugsMás ejemplos en oraciones
instruction, authorization• informal scrip• archaic recipe
- In brief, the general practitioner writes a prescription which the patient takes to the pharmacist.
- The authors conclude that at least 7 percent of prescriptions written for pediatric patients in the emergency department are not filled.
- Then I go to attend to my patients and write prescriptions and directions for their ailments.
- 1.1The action of prescribing a medicine or treatment: the unnecessary prescription of antibioticsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Exercise and dietary therapy precedes prescription of medication by physicians.
- These results may have consequences for more targeted prescription of ocular antibiotics.
- Doctors will usually be less able than exercise teachers to advise on the individualised prescription of particular exercises or activities.
- 1.2A medicine or remedy that is prescribed: I’ve got to pick up my prescriptionMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Angus waited outside whilst I went in and bought Gerald's medicine, a continuing prescription routinely picked up once a month.
- But with prescriptions like antibiotics, the medication must be finished for it to be effective.
- At the chemist picking up my prescription, I saw two young guys standing in line.
- 2A recommendation that is authoritatively put forward: effective prescriptions for sustaining rural communitiesMás ejemplos en oraciones
method, measure; recommendation, suggestion, recipe, formula
- Your institution may have recommendations or prescriptions about the form this should take.
- Put that way, those recommendations sound like a prescription for improvement of ecology in general, not just studies of urbanization effects.
- However, the letter demonstrates that recommendations and prescriptions for society often reflect individual biases and belief systems.
- 2.1The authoritative recommendation of an action or procedure: rather than prescription there would be guidanceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Sex education in schools is no bad thing, providing it scores high on non-judgemental advice and information and low on recommendation and prescription.
- He offers no formulaic prescription in this book.
- The power of his book lies not in prescription, but rather in his acute, erudite and provocative historical analysis.
- 3 (also positive prescription) Law The establishment of a claim founded on the basis of a long or indefinite period of uninterrupted use or of long-standing custom.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In order to acquire a right to an easement or right-of-way by prescription, a party must show a clear period of continuous use for a period of twenty years.
- But their immediate impact on the political structure, at a time when the power of prescription and force of custom were over-riding, is difficult to assess.
- Lastly, the defence of prescription does not apply to public nuisance because no one can acquire the right to commit a crime.