- 1A thing or substance that causes something to move or be driven forward or outward, in particular.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Liquid helium from a tank in the lunar module was used to assure a steady flow of propellants to the descent engine.
- Instead, the focus was to be on loads featuring some of the newer propellants.
- Such a maneuver would require a significant amount of propellant for conventional rocket systems.
- 1.1An inert fluid, liquefied under pressure, in which the active contents of an aerosol are dispersed.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- They have uses as propellants in aerosol spray cans, refrigerant gases, and foaming agents for blown plastics.
- These substances, also known as freons, were once used extensively as coolant fluids in refrigerators and air conditioners, and as propellants in aerosol cans.
- Today, almost all aerosol cans contain alternative propellants, such as liquefied petroleum gas, which do not pose as serious a threat to the environment.
- 1.2An explosive that fires bullets from a firearm.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- However, the use of this explosive mixture of saltpetre, charcoal, and sulphur as a propellant for bullets from firearms, and thus gun powder, is a western development and one which took place gradually from the 13th century.
- Many of the wars in this century were fought with TNT as the main explosive and with gunpowder as the main propellant of bullets and artillery shells.
- To fire the weapon a projectile containing the propellant and explosive is dropped into the muzzle.
- 1.3A substance used as a reagent in a rocket engine to provide thrust.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- More like rocket engines, jets produce thrust by burning propellant (jet fuel mixed with air) and forcing the rapidly expanding gases rearward.
- The extra propellant provides an additional 50 tonnes of thrust in the first 20 seconds following liftoff.
- Perchlorate is a waterborne contaminant left over from propellants and rocket fuels.
adjetivoVolver al principio
- Capable of propelling something: propellant gasesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The cases are cleaned, inspected and reassembled for propellant casting, and a new nozzle and igniter are installed.
- The missile consists of a two-stage solid propellant rocket motor, a separation system and three high density darts.
- The mishap took place in the Center's solid propellant space booster plant, where rocket motors are filled with the solid fuel required for their operation.
mid 17th century: originally from Latin propellent- 'driving ahead (of oneself)', from the verb propellere, later from propel.
Más definiciones de propellantDefinición de propellant en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional