Definición de protogynous en inglés:
adjetivoBotany & Zoology
(Of a hermaphrodite flower or animal) having the female reproductive organs come to maturity before the male. The opposite of protandrous.
- The pistillate flower of the cyathium develops before the male ones; thus each cyathium is functionally a protogynous hermaphrodite ‘flower’.
- Female wrasses are called protogynous hermaphrodites, which means they can change sex to become males should there be a need, such as when a dominant male is eaten, dies, or is chased away.
- Flowers of this species are protogynous, visited by a good variety of insects, and capable of both self-and cross-fertilization.
- Example sentences
- However, the form of dichogamy (protogyny and protandry) is likely to have different consequences for autogamy versus geitonogamy.
- Protandry (and the less frequent, opposite pattern called protogyny) may occur for different reasons in different taxa.
- At the extreme, true prolificacy leads to protogyny whereas normal maize shows protandry.
Pronunciación: /ˈprōtəˌjīnē, prōˈtäjənē/sustantivo
Definición de protogynous en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan