Definición de rearguard en inglés:
1The soldiers positioned at the rear of a body of troops, especially those protecting an army when it is in retreat.
- It is commonly used by troops intending to hold a position against an advancing enemy, by rearguards covering a retreat, or by advanced parties while they wait to be reinforced.
- The success of the long retreat and the rearguard engagements in 1944 and 1945 came despite, rather than because of, Hitler.
- The East was bringing the battle to the South, leaving only a few soldiers as a rearguard at the palace.
1.1A defensive or conservative element in an organization or community.
- I hope to convince readers that this is not simply a nostalgic reactionary's rearguard defence of a bygone era but a highly desirable way of meeting the needs of many patients today.
- It retreated and maintained a hold over rearguard elements.
- Rambling and canoeing organisations have now launched a fierce rearguard fight against British Waterways, which they say is guilty of scaremongering, and are arguing the case for a Scottish Waterways organisation to be set up.
late Middle English (denoting the rear part of an army): from Old French rereguarde.
Definición de rearguard en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan