North American informal
Definición de redline en inglés:
1Drive with (a car engine) at or above its rated maximum rpm: both his engines were redlined now
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Bored by the long drive, Willy and Grecs decided to pass the time by redlining an already heated engine with high speed in low gear.
- Due to the very long stroke and alloy conrods, the motor is redlined at 7,000 and will definitely explode if persistently over-revved.
- I redlined my A4's four-banger as we came up on the depot.
2Refuse (a loan or insurance) to someone because they live in an area deemed to be a poor financial risk.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- War on Poverty planners had argued that poverty persisted in distressed areas partly because banks and other businesses redlined them, starving them of the investment they needed to revive by refusing to do business there.
- When black families found a way to buy homes in white neighborhoods, such as Riverside Terrace along Houston's Brays Bayou, the FHA would redline the area as high-risk.
- Private banks, and the Federal Housing and Veterans administrations, favored homeowner loans to single-family dwellings in the ‘new homogeneous’ neighborhoods sprouting to the west, and redlined older areas of the city.
2.1Cancel (a project).
sustantivoVolver al principio
The maximum number of revolutions per minute for a car engine.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The ‘manual’ shifts are quick, and top marks to Honda for not incorporating automatic upshifts when the 7000 rpm redline is reached.
- Acceleration is perfectly adequate up to about 80 mph, but the engine screams at redline when it's time to merge into highway traffic.
- The second hint is the prodigious torque output and low engine redline.
From the use of red as a limit marker, sense 2 of the verb a limit marked out by ringing a section of a map.
Palabras que riman con redlinebreadline, deadline, headline
Definición de redline en:
- Diccionario Inglés británico e internacional
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda