Entrada del diccionario de Inglés británico e internacional
Found (a city or institution) again; re-establish: Westminster was refounded as a Benedictine monastery under Mary Tudor
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In 886, after Viking raids, King Alfred refounded the city within the protective Roman walls and the old town, or ‘Aldwych’, was abandoned.
- Nevertheless, his wealth and amiability gave him standing, he was chancellor of the University of Oxford, and Pembroke College was refounded in his honour.
- The Chapel Royal itself was refounded as a permanent institution by Edward IV.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The same arrangement was carried to colonial cities and refoundations from Asia Minor.
- Conflicts and confusion abounded, and hesitant, often contradictory reforms were attempted before a genuine refoundation took place with the birth of the Fifth Republic in 1958.
- In fairness to Edward IV, whom Sir Thomas More thought had left his realm ‘in quiet and prosperous estate’, we should say the work of refoundation had already been started.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: re|found
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda