- 1Refuse to accept or be associated with: she has repudiated policies associated with previous party leadersMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Rejecting a constricting southern ethos, Florence flees to Harlem and marries Frank, a hard-drinking blues singer; subsequently, she repudiates him for rejecting her middle-class American values.
- He continued to argue against the King's divorce and the split with Rome, and in 1534 was arrested after refusing to swear an Oath of Succession repudiating the Pope and accepting the annulment of the marriage to Catherine.
- It's believed that the insurance companies sought to repudiate their policies partly on the basis that the Department had failed to disclose details of penalties imposed prior to 1992.
- 1.1Deny the truth or validity of: the minister repudiated allegations of human rights abuses
- 1.2chiefly Law Refuse to fulfill or discharge (an agreement, obligation, or debt): breach of a condition gives the other party the right to repudiate a contractMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This leads to the possibility of the US repudiating its existing debt obligations to external creditors.
- I would advocate going on to repudiate the entire debt outright, and let the chips fall where they may.
- When things went poorly for the Spanish, they just repudiated their debts and started over.
- 1.3(Especially in the past or in non-Christian religions) divorce (one’s wife).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Only the husband may repudiate his spouse, although the wife may provoke him to make that decision.
- As caput mansi or head of the household, the husband of the mother of the twin boys, should he choose to repudiate his wife, would be following a convention deemed appropriate to protect the social order with respect to unfaithful wives.
- The building reminded them of a past that belonged to them and their ancestors, a past they did not wish to repudiate.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The effect of a repudiation upon the repudiator's right to arbitration is contingent on the character of the alleged repudiation and the reasons offered in justification.
- A determination on the issue of repudiation will often entail an examination of the repudiator's manifest intent to preserve a pre-existing contractual right to arbitrate as an alternative to contractual repudiation.
late Middle English (originally an adjective in the sense 'divorced'): from Latin repudiatus 'divorced, cast off', from repudium 'divorce'.