1A sticky flammable organic substance, insoluble in water, exuded by some trees and other plants (notably fir and pine). Compare with gum1 (sense 1 of the noun).
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Rich red and green glaze paints, more usually the former, in both early Netherlandish and German School paintings were often found to contain a little resin, usually pine tree resin, in addition to heat-bodied oil.
- Their first step was to obtain resin from the pine trees which at that time grew in dense forests throughout Europe.
- The sticky extrusive mass that comes from a cut on a pine tree is resin.
1.1 (also synthetic resin) A solid or liquid synthetic organic polymer used as the basis of plastics, adhesives, varnishes, or other products.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Polyurethanes are liquid plastic resins that dry to a durable satin or gloss finish.
- They consist of two components, a liquid resin and the hardener to convert the liquid resins to solid.
- Polymer binder resins protect the paper from humidity damage and help to fine-tune the stiffness and acoustic properties of the paper.
verbo (resins, resining, resined)[with object] (usually as adjective resined)
Rub or treat with resin: resined canvas
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It consists of a maple table covered with more than a dozen wire-framed globes of cream-colored resined paper, each different from the next.
- There will be some shiny drippy marks that look almost like varnish on the rough edges of the slab if the stone is resined.
- Some experts say that resined stones do not need to be sealed since the resin acts as a sealer.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The condensation reaction between phenol and formaldehyde, resulting in resinous products, had been known since 1870.
- Archeological evidence suggests that ancient Egyptians used resinous adhesives at least 6,000 years ago.
- The resinous juices from the seed casing of the opium poppy are the source of naturally occurring narcotics.
Late Middle English: from Latin resina; related to Greek rhētinē 'pine resin'. Compare with rosin.
Palabras que riman con resinmuezzin
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: res·in
Definición de resin en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda