Definición de retard en inglés:
Pronunciación: /riˈtärd /[with object]
Delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment: his progress was retarded by his limp
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He said the slow pace at which the deal was being negotiated was retarding the development of the park, which he said had remained closed to tourists for sometime.
- Famously, Forster accused the educational systems of the time of retarding the emotional development of schoolboys.
- Restrictive legislation could retard the development of technology and slow the growth of electronic commerce.
Pronunciación: /ˈrēˌtärd /informal , offensive Volver al principio
- Example sentences
- Iodine deficiency is the most common preventable causes of mental retardation among the children and miscarriage among pregnant women.
- Sudden changes - from loud to soft, lento to presto, or vice versa - keep us on our toes, increasingly aware that the tempo is the message, that acceleration and retardation are the music of living.
- Tributyltin, for example, is a licensed marine antifoulant used in paints and extremely toxic to crustaceans where, even at low levels, it can cause structural growth changes and retardation.
- Example sentences
- Also, since air retarders and vapor diffusion retarders serve different functions and have distinct characteristics, it may be more practical to install them as separate systems.
- The drivers are taught to use engine retarders instead of brakes, and if they have to use the brakes, to tap them lightly.
- Contractors are also encouraged to use evaporation retarders when weather conditions could cause excessive water evaporation from the slab.
- ( rare )Example sentences
- The lining not only forms a decorative finish to the hull but also acts as a very good fire retardment.
- It is shown that there is a direct relationship between spring retardment (Φ) and the neap to spring ratio.
Pronunciación: /ˌrēˌtärˈdāSHən, ri-/sustantivo