A tropical skin disease caused by a parasitic filarial worm, transmitted by the bite of blackflies (Simulium damnosum) that breed in fast-flowing rivers. The larvae of the parasite can migrate into the eye and cause blindness. Also called onchocerciasis.
- The worm is Onchocerca volvulus, class Phasmida
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Onchocerciasis, or river blindness affects more than 17 million people in Africa, Latin America, and Yemen.
- Officials from the World Health Organization last week celebrated the elimination of onchocerciasis, or river blindness, as a public health threat in west Africa.
- We are planting corn, rice or wheat, and we're also dealing with Guinea worm, and river blindness, and chistocymsis and tropical diseases.
Definición de river blindness en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional