1The capital of Italy, situated in the west central part of the country, on the Tiber River, about 16 miles (25 km) inland; population 2,724,347 (2008). According to tradition, the ancient city was founded by Romulus (after whom it is named) in 753 bc on the Palatine Hill; as it grew it spread to the other six hills of Rome (Aventine, Caelian, Capitoline, Esquiline, and Quirinal). Rome was made capital of a unified Italy in 1871. Italian name Roma.
all roads lead to Rome
- proverb There are many different ways of reaching the same goal or conclusion.Oraciones de ejemplo
- Just as all roads lead to Rome, I decided to join the largest throng.
- Ants have a road network like the Romans; all roads lead to Rome.
- As all roads lead to Rome so will all questions will lead back to those technical documents that he hasn't read.
Rome was not built in a day
- proverb A complex task is bound to take a long time and should not be rushed.Oraciones de ejemplo
- As one analyst concluded, ‘We should recall that Rome was not built in a day, and note in the context of the Gulf monarchies that reform from above is still a far preferable route to change than revolution from below.’
- They ought to be aware that Rome was not built in a day and realise that what they failed to achieve in the ended negotiations can always be addressed in the next round scheduled to begin as early as May.
- He added: ‘We are as aware as anyone of those areas that have not reached their targets but Rome was not built in a day.’
when in Rome (do as the Romans do)
- proverb When abroad or in an unfamiliar environment you should adopt the customs or behavior of those around you.Oraciones de ejemplo
- In Ireland 1am is not a time when one would take to the water but it was a case of when in Rome, do as the Roman's do, and so many of the group had a sample dip in the warm Atlantic, before heading home to their host families.
- ‘I am a loyal Russian citizen… but when in Rome, do what the Romans do,’ she said.
- I certainly believe when in Rome should apply when they come to live here.
Palabras que riman con Romebrome, chrome, comb, Crome, dome, foam, gnome, holm, Holme, hom, home, Jerome, loam, Nome, ohm, om, roam, tome
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: Rome
Definición de Rome en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda