Definición de sandfly en inglés:
sustantivo (plural sandflies)
1A small, hairy, biting fly of tropical and subtropical regions that transmits a number of diseases, including leishmaniasis.
- Haemoproteus is transmitted by sandflies, or biting midges, of the genus Culicoides, and by louse-flies, both of which occur in the Lesser Antilles.
- American cutaneous leishmaniasis is transmitted by sandflies in rain forest areas mainly among mammals and occasionally humans.
- Similarly, the Mosquito Magnet mimics a human by emitting a plume of carbon dioxide, heat and moisture, and an attractant, octenol, which targets mosquitoes, biting midges, black flies and sandflies.
2Australian another term for black fly (sense 2).
- The highway takes you through native bush known at Fergusons Bush and then at Pukekura 25 km south of Ross, your attention will be caught by the model of the giant sandfly on the front wall of the Bushman's Centre.
- The only change I would love to see would be the end of the sandfly.
- Rosemary says go for the vitamin B and that B1 is also good to repel sandflies - take 2 100 mg tablets a day for a month before you head into sandfly affected areas.
Definición de sandfly en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia