Definición de scorn en inglés:
- The more I have come to feel this way the more I've tried not to express scorn for things that do not catch my attention but that obviously mean a great deal to others.
- Even the junior senator from North Carolina felt obliged to express her scorn for these malefactors of great wealth.
- She is an incredible artist who has endured public derision and scorn for well over a decade.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- The foreign minister was particularly scorned for going to the opera on Sunday night and not turning up for work until 31 hours after the earthquake.
- The first five were friends from school teasing him in fun or scorning him with contempt.
- Imagine sacrificing your son for someone else's sake, and not getting any credit, any appreciation for it, even being scorned and mocked for it.
- Hogeland's idea was scorned or ignored in the larger, more prosperous metropolitan centers in the 1890s.
- But U.S. media coverage matched the bipartisan refusal by leaders in Congress to do anything but scorn the offer.
- She scorns his gallant language, and constantly rebuffs his advances.
- When the will defies fear, when duty throws the gauntlet down to fate, when honor scorns to compromise with death - that is heroism.
- As time went on new rules were drafted, pitches were developed, the games began to draw the attention of people who at one time would have scorned to be associated with them.
Scorn is a shortening of Old French escarn, of Germanic origin. The phrase hell hath no fury like a woman scorned is a version of a line in William Congreve's 1697 play The Mourning Bride: ‘Heav'n has no Rage, like Love to Hatred turn'd, Nor Hell a Fury, like a Woman scorn'd’.
pour (or heap) scorn on
- Speak with contempt or mockery of.Oraciones de ejemplo
- There exists a grave mistake where people think Westernisation is development and pour scorn on all who try to uphold and espouse our local traditions.
- I really do not want to discourage, or to pour scorn on, Mr Hide's hopes in that regard.
- This was a phrase that Wallis would pour scorn on when he attacked Hobbes' ideas.
- ( rare )Oraciones de ejemplo
- I made it absolutely clear to the mockers and scorners at work, that I would only watch the intellectual channels - and Manchester United Live, of course.
- Then again, he derides the negligence of journalists, but this is a strangely negligent book for a scorner.
- They are scorners of the law of nations; hence they find no protection in that law.
Palabras que riman con scornadorn, born, borne, bourn, Braun, brawn, corn, dawn, drawn, faun, fawn, forborne, forewarn, forlorn, freeborn, lawn, lorn, morn, mourn, newborn, Norn, outworn, pawn, prawn, Quorn, sawn, Sean, shorn, spawn, suborn, sworn, thorn, thrawn, torn, Vaughan, warn, withdrawn, worn, yawn
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.