plural sustantivo[usually treated as singular]
1The branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- It is significant that many linguists have sought to limit the role of polysemy in linguistic semantics, if not to eliminate it altogether.
- It's enough to make anybody believe in the feasibility of linguistic semantics, at least for a while.
- Frame semantics is a linguistic theory which is currently gaining ground.
1.1The meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text: such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- How about this - once Tariana starts addressing the real problems within her portfolios, we can discuss the semantics.
- These well-meaning campaigners are chronically tone-deaf to pop cultural semantics and subtleties.
- The point is that the semantics we use are not tick box mechanisms.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- A semantician would want to why both sentences are possible in the first case but not the second.
- This would account for his action in jetting to Australia and proposing marriage to Doctor Winifred Coburn, a horse-faced spinster semantician nine years his senior.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Because we, what with our anal-retentive, horn-rimmed parsing of phrases and slicing of sentences, are really semanticists when it boils down to it.
- The goal of articulating a logical framework tailored to a representational system that is motivated by systematic evidence about meanings in natural languages is not acknowledged by all linguistic semanticists.
- A few years ago, I asked Dave if he'd ever noticed that semanticists tend to wear leather - pants, vests and even hats as well as the more conventional coats and jackets.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: se·man·tics
Definición de semantics en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda