- 1A system of sending messages by holding the arms or two flags or poles in certain positions according to an alphabetic code.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The development of spin off technologies, such as the telegraph and semaphore flags, linked Civil War commanders on the first information net.
- Use of semaphore flags was limited to within range of telescopes in earlier days and binoculars today.
- She can calculate the location of a missing ice cream man from hints in photographs, she can build an action figure replica of her father from scratch, and she can use semaphore to pass messages between two feuding brothers.
- 1.1A signal sent by semaphore.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Sometimes I think of people as solitary automatons, sending out messages like semaphores that read: help.
- Only three operations may be performed on a semaphore, all of which are atomic: initialize, decrement, and increment.
- 2An apparatus for signaling, consisting of an upright with movable parts.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Like semaphores signaling an ambiguous statement, the chairs face away from the figures in the penultimate picture and virtually disappear in the varnished penumbra that concludes the final work of the cycle.
- As they both maintain a tenacious grip on the receiver and attempt to get it away from the other, their arms swing from side to side like a signaling semaphore.
- She fans her movements outward toward the sides of the body like a semaphore of swooping and crumpling limbs.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- Send (a message) by semaphore or by signals resembling semaphore: Josh stands facing the rear and semaphoring the driver’s intentionsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- One could say the word ‘red’ aloud, or semaphore it from a cliff, or send it in Morse code, or write the French word ‘rouge’ on a blackboard, or point to a color chip.
- He semaphores his designerlyness by wearing flouncy shirts and exuding a faint whiff of camp.
- I'm speaking of Kelly's movie personality, as semaphored by his body language, and perhaps as filtered not by the age that he emerged from but by the one that followed him.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The same could be said for most of the world's capitals, reduced in their filmic incarnations to semaphoric rough sketches, tourist snapshots, or broad caricatures.
- I watched his semaphoric interchange with the conductor, his head-tip, cocking an ear toward his own hands, his right foot in rhythm with his senses on the pedal.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Clarke prefers to communicate by semaphorically wiggling his mouselike ears.
- She seems to be bigger than Vanessa and to have more arms and legs - quite nice legs that somehow look sexy even though they are semaphorically knock-kneed.
early 19th century (denoting a signaling apparatus): from French sémaphore, formed irregularly from Greek sēma 'sign' + -phore.
Más definiciones de semaphoreDefinición de semaphore en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional