North American informal
1An accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The carnival shill plays on the behavior of prospective customers in this way.
- Sophisticated news consumers know that Clarke is a fraud and a shill for the campaign.
- So I suppose this makes me a member of the international neocon conspiracy as well as an evil shill for the oil industry.
1.1A person who pretends to give an impartial endorsement of something in which they themselves have an interest: a megamillionaire who makes more money as a shill for corporate products than he does for playing basketball
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- She is really a PR consultant, who candidly calls herself a "paid shill for the Bush administration."
- Not only is he wrong, he's a shill for the GOP, which makes for dull radio.
- At the risk of seeming to be a shill for David Talbot, let me suggest that non-subscribers reconsider.
Act or work as a shill.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- He shilled for the shipping magnate in his bid to lead the Liberals.
- But Tom is as stalwart as the administration for which he shilled so continuously, before taking his book-writing sabbatical.
- Worse, he suggests, they shilled for Wall Street, conflating the interests of the big banks with the financial health of the world.
Early 20th century: probably from earlier shillaber, of unknown origin.
Palabras que riman con shillbill, Brazil, brill, Camille, chill, cookchill, dill, distil (US distill), downhill, drill, Edgehill, Estoril, fill, freewill, frill, fulfil (US fulfill), Gill, goodwill, grill, grille, hill, ill, instil, kill, krill, mil, mill, nil, Phil, pill, quadrille, quill, rill, Seville, shrill, sill, skill, spadille, spill, squill, still, stock-still, swill, thill, thrill, till, trill, twill, until, uphill, will
Definición de shill en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda