1(Of a speech sound) sounded with a hissing effect, for example s, sh.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Though everyone else in the picture speaks in some variation of a British accent, poor Jolie has been given the Transylvanian throat-sucker's throaty, sibilant vowels, as well as a wardrobe of snakes.
- The addition of e before s after sibilant consonants (pass/passes) and final o (go/goes).
- Modern Portuguese is characterized by an abundance of sibilant and palatal consonants and a broad spectrum of vowel sounds (five nasal phonemes and eight to ten oral ones).
1.1Making or characterized by a hissing sound: his sibilant whisper
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- There were shouts and laughter and sibilant whispers.
- You hear the sibilant whisper of gentle waves washing the shore and you know the sea is calm tonight.
- We all spoke German, too, at the table - except when talking to the waitress, when we settled into sibilant cadences and sharp vowels.
A sibilant speech sound.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- He kept separate the constituents of consonantal clusters, relishing sibilants and fricatives as much as plosives and liquids, and studied the duration of pauses as carefully as the duration of syllables.
- Some readers do elocution lessons to get rid of troublesome sibilants or worrisome vowels (try imitating a fish).
- But I love hearing French rapped - all those elisions and sibilants are a dreamy alternative to hard-consonant English spitting.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- After about a minute, a single car stopped in front of them, its door hissing open with pneumatic sibilance.
- His speed-speak makes for a high-energy performance, but when compounded with a slight sibilance, it compels the audience to pay close attention to catch what he's saying.
- Floating in glass-topped court-tank of aquamarine. Underwater wave lengths of muffled sibilance, mutated boom.
Mid 17th century: from Latin sibilant- 'hissing', from the verb sibilare.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: sib·i·lant
Definición de sibilant en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda