Definición de side-wheeler en inglés:
A steamboat with paddle wheels on either side.
- Before it closed in 1996, 513 ships were built here, from the side-wheeler USS Saginaw to the nuclear submarine USS Drum.
- Arguably the sleekest of the blockade runners making the dangerous trips between Havana and Mobile was the side-wheeler Denbigh, built in the shipyards of John Laird & Sons of Birkenhead, near Liverpool, England, in 1860.
- The first three Union gunboats on the Mississippi were converted side-wheelers, averaging 180 feet in length, with 42-foot beams, and drawing about 6 feet of water.
- Example sentences
- The first ship bringing these modern argonauts, the ‘Commodore’ - a wooden side-wheel American steamer, entered Victoria harbour on Sunday morning, April 25, 1858, just as the townspeople were returning homeward from church.
- When the SS China, a wood side-wheel steamer, was brought to Tiburon's marine crematory to be burned for scrap metal, its social saloon and two staterooms were set aside, too beautiful to burn.
- In 1844, the U.S. Navy commissioned its first steam warships, the side-wheel frigates Missouri and Mississippi, which were considered the equal of any European warship then in service.
Definición de side-wheeler en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan