Definición de side-wheeler en inglés:
A steamboat with paddle wheels on either side.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Before it closed in 1996, 513 ships were built here, from the side-wheeler USS Saginaw to the nuclear submarine USS Drum.
- Arguably the sleekest of the blockade runners making the dangerous trips between Havana and Mobile was the side-wheeler Denbigh, built in the shipyards of John Laird & Sons of Birkenhead, near Liverpool, England, in 1860.
- The first three Union gunboats on the Mississippi were converted side-wheelers, averaging 180 feet in length, with 42-foot beams, and drawing about 6 feet of water.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The first ship bringing these modern argonauts, the ‘Commodore’ - a wooden side-wheel American steamer, entered Victoria harbour on Sunday morning, April 25, 1858, just as the townspeople were returning homeward from church.
- When the SS China, a wood side-wheel steamer, was brought to Tiburon's marine crematory to be burned for scrap metal, its social saloon and two staterooms were set aside, too beautiful to burn.
- In 1844, the U.S. Navy commissioned its first steam warships, the side-wheel frigates Missouri and Mississippi, which were considered the equal of any European warship then in service.
Definición de side-wheeler en:
- Diccionario Inglés británico e internacional
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda