Definición de siege en inglés:
1A military operation in which enemy forces surround a town or building, cutting off essential supplies, with the aim of compelling the surrender of those inside: Verdun had withstood a siege of ten weeks [as modifier]: siege warfare
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In the American civil war the sieges of Vicksburg and Petersburg saw trench warfare on a localized scale, and the same was true of the siege of Port Arthur in the Russo-Japanese war.
- After more than a month of siege warfare, Pemberton surrendered to Grant on 4 July 1863.
- Stalingrad, besides being the turning-point of the war on the Eastern Front, was also a reminder that an ancient form of land warfare, the siege, was by no means obsolete.
1.1An operation in which a police or other force surround a building and cut off supplies, with the aim of forcing an armed person to surrender.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- A man whose life fell apart after he sparked a dramatic armed police siege with a toy weapon said today: ‘Throw away your guns.’
- I yearn for those days when everything was full of wonder and fun, when kids could play cowboys and Indians in the street with toy guns that did not cause an armed police siege.
- A man who held a woman against her will through a 12-hour armed police siege today faces a life sentence.
Middle English: from Old French sege, from asegier 'besiege'.
lay siege to
- Conduct a siege of (a place): government forces laid siege to the building figurative the press laid siege to her apartmentMás ejemplos en oraciones
- After the battle the English expeditionary force landed and laid siege to Rounai.
- The Takeda army that laid siege to Nagashino castle consisted of 15,000 men, of whom 12,000 took part in the subsequent battle.
- The objective was to silence the forts so that minesweepers could clear the minefields to allow the fleet to force the Dardanelles and lay siege to Constantinople (now Istanbul).
- (Of a place) undergoing a siege: the fort had been under siege by guerrillas since June figurative we are under siege from budget cutsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Against his instructions, he elected to stay and defend the capital, Khartoum, which came under siege from the Mahdi in May 1884.
- Manstein believed three or four divisions could keep the fortress under siege.
- At the time it felt like we were surrounded by an army, properly under siege.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Canadá
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en Pakistán