- 1Exceptionally good or great; remarkable: the singular beauty of the desertMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They had a singular beauty, outstanding amongst the exotic growth of fern and ponga on the slopes below.
- No one else does with available light what Godard does, which brings about a singular beauty.
- Christmas, of course, is a special case, and Dunkeld Cathedral is a place of singular beauty, but the trend still needs some explanation.
- 1.1Strange or eccentric in some respect: no explanation accompanied this rather singular statementMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Barely are we into what is broadly described as ‘recovery’ than we see already a strange and singular characteristic.
- He never strayed from the sinister, sensitive steps that marked his strange and singular songwriting path.
- In one of the more bizarre twists in a truly singular career, August 1968 saw The Incredible String Band in upstate New York as part of the Woodstock festival.
- 1.2 Mathematics (Of a square matrix) having a zero determinant.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The matrix was not singular, as the interaction observed variables were not linearly dependent on the original observed variables.
- The programs will not analyze data where the matrix is singular as it is not positive definite.
- Using the MCMC method in Loki, if the number of iterations is too small, then it is more likely that the estimates of the IBD matrices will be singular.
- 1.3 Mathematics Denoting a point that is a singularity.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Each spectrum was analyzed as a linear combination of basis fluorescence spectra using a singular value decomposition algorithm.
- 2 Grammar (Of a word or form) denoting or referring to just one person or thing.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In American English, collective nouns usually take a singular verb.
- There are other singular words for classes or units of people.
- ‘Please inform the writers that the names of teams take the singular verb,’ he says.
- 3Single; unique: she always thought of herself as singular, as his only daughterMás ejemplos en oraciones
- And because of this singular fact, every single published estimate of Social Security income and outgo is just plain wrong.
- Is it now official Republican theology that tax breaks are the singular solution to every single problem there is?
- Out of this dichotomous set of associations has emerged a constellation of forces, ideas, images and experiences which have defined both the city and rural zones in unique and singular ways.
sustantivo(usually the singular) Grammar Volver al principio
- The singular form of a word: the first person singularMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This difference between the two constructions follows from the fact that bare plurals, but not indefinite singulars, are acceptable topics.
- It will be noted that singulars far outnumber plurals, also that the cherished object is overwhelmingly associated with a speech act participant (mainly the addressee) rather than with a third party.
- Keep up the good work, and watch out for collective singulars!
Middle English (in the sense 'solitary, single', also 'beyond the average'): from Old French singuler, from Latin singularis, from singulus (see single).