1A cloud of smoke created to conceal military operations.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Desultory firing continued for two days amid fog, smokescreens, and increasing confusion, before the operation was eventually abandoned.
- Wing Commander Frank Brock, a director of the company, used his background and passion for explosives and incendiaries to develop a smokescreen to conceal battleships at sea.
- We use them [white phosphorus munitions] primarily as obscurants, for smokescreens or target marking in some cases.
1.1A ruse designed to disguise someone’s real intentions or activities: he tried to create a smokescreen by quibbling about the statistics
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It's just hard to sort out the real issues from the smokescreens as the rhetoric heats up this election year.
- Hague last night insisted that he would not be silenced by accusations of racism, which he said were designed as a smokescreen to hide Labour's problems over asylum.
- Behind a smokescreen of good intentions, the project continues.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: smoke screen
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda