- A black powdery or flaky substance consisting largely of amorphous carbon, produced by the incomplete burning of organic matter.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Diesel particulate matter consists of soot mixed with anything from volatile organic compounds to sulphur and nitrous oxides.
- What impact, if any, does soot and black carbon from fires have on the glaciers of Kilimanjaro?
- Very low particulate, soot, and volatile organic emissions are released when it is burned.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- Cover or clog (something) with soot.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The tremendous heat has consumed all vegetation, destabilized ground areas, sooted the work environment and caused burned trees to become unsafe.
(as) black as soot
- Intensely black.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The skin was black as soot, and smooth as if not really skin at all.
- And I never would have believed it a military unit, even one from the North, cause every face I saw was as black as soot.
- He pulled back his hood with a hand as black as soot.
Old English sōt, of Germanic origin; related to German dialect Sott, from an Indo-European root shared by the verb sit.