- 1Better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual: they always made a special effort at ChristmasMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Grandad and I have special food, at different times from other people.
- It seemed different, more special then the rest.
- As he experimented with special lenses and different exposures and paper, his photography became increasingly art-inspired.
- 1.1Exceptionally good or precious: she’s a very special personMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This woman is exceptional, she's special, she's extraordinary and I have great respect for her.
- I have no special talents, except being able to sing.
- Once an implant has been installed it can't be uninstalled again except with special equipment.
- 1.2Belonging specifically to a particular person or place: we want to preserve our town’s special characterMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Yuliana belongs to a special caste in classical ballet - she is a character dancer.
- This title belongs under that extra special list of films that are so bad they're good.
- The special character of South Germany was expressed in the liberal subculture, which had lasting-power and prolonged success.
- 1.3Designed or organized for a particular person, purpose, or occasion: we will return by special coachesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- High-heel shoes are probably one of the most favorite designs women choose for their special occasions.
- General purpose home computers will gather dust as special purpose machines with cool designs and unbreakable software take over.
- Asparagus is normally cooked, preferably by steaming in the special tall utensil designed for the purpose.
- 1.4(Of a subject) studied in particular depth.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- His colleagues would not even respect his views about the teaching of his own special subject.
- She was not alone in rendering living flowers, but she made them her special subject.
- Credit cards are subject to extensive regulation, but that is a special topic and put to one side.
- 1.5Used to denote education for children with particular needs, especially those with learning difficulties.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- You get more money for your school district for special education.
- She graduated high school on time and entered the UVic English program with the goal of eventually becoming a special education teacher for the blind.
- If one failed re-education, they were dubbed as mentally inept, and put into a school for special education students.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- 1A thing, such as an event, product, or broadcast, that is designed or organized for a particular occasion or purpose: television’s election night specialsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- During the late 1950s, several hour-long specials were also broadcast.
- It will air this Sunday night as a television special on ABC.
- The artist had created several animated commercials and specials for television.
- 1.1A dish not on the regular menu at a restaurant but served on a particular day.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Restaurants run food specials for a number of reasons, sometimes because the chef found certain ingredients at a reduced price.
- The fine-dining restaurant specialises in Californian-influenced Italian cuisine including shrimp and lobster specials served to the sounds of a live jazz band.
- Delicious weekly specials augment a superb menu, with a robust selection of favorites from America's four corners.
- 1.2 • informal A product or service offered at a temporarily reduced price.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- There are reduced rates and specials being offered within other sections of the market.
- They offer a handful of weekly specials but otherwise keep prices relatively high.
- Wellington is awash in curry houses, thus they tend to offer specials to entice you to eat there.
- Available for sale at a reduced price: they have hamburger buns on special todayMás ejemplos en oraciones
- "I was comfortable enough to put the Vanilla Twist on special in all our restaurants this month."
- I expect they had either been abducted or were on special in an aisle I had yet to discover.
- We have a three pack of socks on special for only a fiver up at the till!
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- We'd like to believe that our apprehensions signify our specialness.
- The specialness of the cinema - and its concomitant rules, including silence, and rituals, such as dressing-up - has gone.
- The picture of salmon swimming against strong current or leaping waterfalls confirms the specialness of this animal.
Middle English: shortening of Old French especial 'especial' or Latin specialis, from species 'appearance' (see species).