- 1 [no object] Make a series of soft explosive sounds, typically when being heated or as a symptom of a fault: the engine sputtered and stoppedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The engine sputtered and smoked and eventually stopped.
- The walls danced with red ochre light as the flame sputtered and spat.
- The enemy plane, its engine sputtering, lost altitude and turned back toward Pola.
- 1.1 [reporting verb] Speak in a series of incoherent bursts as a result of indignation or some other strong emotion: [with direct speech]: “But ... but ...” she sputteredMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I turned red and sputtered something incoherent.
- Her mouth opened in indignation as she sputtered incoherent, half-formed words.
- Yeah, for now, I'm angry enough that I can barely sputter, never mind speak or write coherently.
- 1.2 [with object] Emit with a spitting sound: the goose is in the oven, sputtering fatMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The shower head began to spit and sputter out hot water.
- 1.3 [with adverbial] Proceed or develop in a spasmodic and feeble way: strikes in the public services sputtered onMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The Fed has already cut rates seven times this year, by a total of three full percentage points, to try to reignite sputtering economic growth.
- The bubble burst late last year as the economy started sputtering, and now about 10 per cent of credit card debt is more than one month overdue in Asia's fourth-largest economy.
- Defeated in Lombardy, the revolution sputtered on in Venice, Tuscany, Rome, and Sicily.
- 2 [with object] Physics Deposit (metal) on a surface by using fast ions to eject particles of it from a target.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- We prepared the filters for SEM analysis by sputtering a thin gold film on them.
- Thin layers of chromium and gold were sequentially sputtered on the substrates using the following procedure.
- Motorola uses the same machinery to deposit the magnetic maternal as that used to sputter the magnetic oxide on to disk drive platters.
- 2.1Cover (a surface) with metal by sputter method.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Some amber pieces were sputtered with carbon for this treatment and filaments of several amber pieces were scanned.
- After critical point drying samples were sputtered with gold and investigated in a Zeiss DSM 962 scanning electron microscope.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- A series of soft explosive sounds, typically produced by an engine or by something heating or burning: the sputter of the motor died awayMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They spoke little, each of them thinking his own thoughts, but it was a companionable silence, punctuated by the sputter and crackle of the fire.
- Now I could hear the sputter of machine gun fire; the booms and screeches of torpedoes.
- Inside the building, Paul Meyer and his two young colleagues listened to the sputters of a cheap diesel generator.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In addition, there are a range of metal evaporators, sputterers and reactive ion etching equipment.
- This sputterer has RF and DC sources which allow it sputter metallic and dielectric materials.
late 16th century (as a verb): from Dutch sputteren, of imitative origin.
Más definiciones de sputterDefinición de sputter en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional