Definición de squadron en inglés:
1An operational unit in an air force consisting of two or more flights of aircraft and the personnel required to fly them.
- Indeed, the Polish airmen who managed to reach the UK formed a fully-fledged Polish air force with 14 squadrons and support services, and this by 1941.
- Losses were heavy and the RAAF squadrons were supplemented by RAF Hudsons flown from India.
- As part of the tour, the group will also visit Air Force squadrons on base to see how they fly and maintain their fleet.
1.1A principal division of an armored or cavalry regiment, consisting of two or more troops.
- Numerically, each of its three cavalry squadrons has the equivalent of a tank battalion, a mechanized battalion, and an artillery battery.
- The rarely-used Scottish state coach, drawn by four white horses, was escorted by two squadrons of the Household Cavalry.
- Cavalrymen familiar with the command and control squadrons of the border regiments during the Cold War will recognize this organization.
1.2A group of warships detached on a particular duty or under the command of a flag officer.
- One of their drones shadowing the withdrawing enemy fleet has detected a squadron of enemy warships detaching from the main body.
- The only major sea battle in World War began with fighting between Royal Navy squadrons of battle-cruisers under Beatty and a German squadron under Rear Admiral von Hipper.
- The award is presented annually to the Royal Navy ship, squadron or Royal Marines unit that is judged to have done most to project a positive image of the Senior Service.
1.3 informal A large group of people or things: he immediately commissioned a squadron of architects
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Bradford Council insisted its squadron of gritters was working overtime, but thousands of frustrated motorists faced huge delays on normally-short journeys.
- The force now included around a battalion of infantry as well as a squadron of military engineers.
- They are met at the courthouse door by a squadron of court officers who proceed to subject them to a humiliating search.
mid 16th century (originally denoting a group of soldiers in square formation): from Italian squadrone, from squadra 'square'.
Words that rhyme with squadronCochran
Definición de squadron en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan