- 1Withdraw or resign from a position or office: he stood down as leader of the partyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He is standing down from his position due to ill health.
- The first-ever female principal of Northallerton College has announced that she is standing down from her position next summer after nearly seven years in the job.
- He announced that he was standing down from the position as treasurer after 18 years.
- 2 (stand down or stand someone down) Relax or cause to relax after a state of readiness: if something doesn’t happen soon, I guess they’ll stand us downMás ejemplos en oraciones
relax, stand easy, come off full alert
- Royal Navy ice patrol ship HMS Endurance has been stood down from a rescue in the sea off Antarctica.
- If there is not a successful breakthrough, we're there at the Government's behest and if they decide to stand us down, then we will be stood down.
- An ambulance crew was dispatched immediately, however they were stood down shortly after.
- 3(Of a witness) leave the witness stand after giving evidence.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The applicant may stand down and go back to the Bar table.
- What I propose to do is to have this witness stood down.
- After a minute of silence the judge said, ‘Okay, the witness may stand down.’
Más definiciones de stand downDefinición de stand down en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional