- 1The relative social, professional, or other standing of someone or something: an improvement in the status of womenMás ejemplos en oraciones
- What is the status of professional codes of ethics relative to federal regulations?
- Ever since our liberation from the British, the social statuses of those who are involved in agriculture have declined drastically.
- As he points out, winning a major wasn't easy for a British professional of his status.
- 1.1High rank or social standing: those who enjoy wealth and statusMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I watched him grow through college and Minor ranks to Senior star status over the years.
- Many observers noted that this system worked only as long as the officer enjoyed high social status.
- Even in a community steeped in wealth and status, the Tanners were a distinguished clan.
- 1.2The official classification given to a person, country, or organization, determining their rights or responsibilities: the duchy had been elevated to the status of a principalityMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The reality is that a single organization can have multiple statuses, as determined by the functions it performs.
- The present study describes New Zealand women prisoners' patterns of official institutional misconduct and their security classification statuses.
- A player's status can be determined by the status of the clubs with which he is linked.
- 2The position of affairs at a particular time, especially in political or commercial contexts: an update on the status of the billMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I want regular reports on our status, and the legions are to be kept on constant alert.
- A spokesman for Aberdeen also refused to shed any light on the status of the bidding process.
- The SHB annual report also reveals the status of a number of capital projects in the county.
- 2.1A posting on a social networking website that indicates a user’s current situation, state of mind, or opinion about something: when I updated my status on Facebook yesterday I said I was ‘seeking a sense of purpose’ [as modifier]: I noticed that there were some interesting status updates from some of my local friendsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A few weeks ago, a friend told me about a status update she'd received via Facebook.
- Writing a blog post is a lot harder than posting a status update, putting a funny link on someone's Wall, or tweeting.
- His last status update, according to the newspaper, came Sunday at 10:58 a.m.
late 18th century (as a legal term meaning 'legal standing'): from Latin, literally 'standing', from stare 'to stand'.