- 1A written law passed by a legislative body: violation of the hate crimes statute the tax is not specifically disallowed by statuteMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Rules are written to reflect the statutes passed in legislation.
- Congress has passed statutes making a defendant pay the fee of a plaintiff's lawyer if the plaintiff prevails in the case.
- It is not entirely clear from this paper, it may be clear from the original: is this form of lease prescribed by statute or regulation?
- 1.1A rule of an organization or institution: the appointment will be subject to the statutes of the universityMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Both sides claim the backing of World Trade Organization statutes for their positions.
- Ironically, it appeared to have no effect on the organisation's statutes or policy positions.
- Today, they are marketing themselves as ‘financial cooperatives,’ even though they are organized under different statutes.
- 1.2 • archaic (In biblical use) a law or decree made by a sovereign, or by God.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- ‘I incline my heart to perform Thy statutes,’ is a verse that occurs in several forms in the psalm.
Middle English: from Old French statut, from late Latin statutum, neuter past participle of Latin statuere 'set up', from status 'standing' (see status).