- 1The quality or state of being strong, in particular.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It is a strong story and this strength lies in the fact that it is simple and easy to relate to.
- So, given that what doesn't destroy me makes me stronger, what strength can I gain from this?
- This gives us strength and provides a strong foundation and makes us a much more predictable country.
- 1.1Physical power and energy: cycling can help you build up your strengthMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It seems oddly ironic that one could build an exterior of strength, that being strong seems strangely easier than being weak.
- Male advantages in physical strength and spatial skills were probably more useful in the past.
- His strength and other physical qualities already outmatch those of normal humans, but they are far from complete.
- 1.2The emotional or mental qualities necessary in dealing with situations or events that are distressing or difficult: many people find strength in religion it takes strength of character to admit one needs helpMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In which situations did you receive strength to face difficulties?
- In emotional and mental strength she far supersedes a man.
- Berbizier castigated them after Paris, saying that it was more a lack of mental strength than an absence of fitness that saw them beaten.
- 1.3The capacity of an object or substance to withstand great force or pressure: they were taking no chances with the strength of the retaining wallMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The bone tissue is normal with a normal shape but it has lost mass and density and so lacks sufficient strength to withstand the forces which normally occur in daily life.
- It exceeds the elastic strength pressure and permissible pressure.
- Bracing variables include wind pressure, strength of masonry, type of system, and type of strut anchorage.
- 1.4The influence or power possessed by a person, organization, or country: the political and military strength of European governmentsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A great power possesses economic, diplomatic, and military strength and influence, and its interests extend beyond its own borders.
- They would then possess better strength and power to anticipate negative elements around them, he added.
- The solution is a world government with a full legislature, courts, and enough military strength to enforce its power.
- 1.5The degree of intensity of a feeling or belief: street protests demonstrated the strength of feeling against the presidentMás ejemplos en oraciones
- With that strength of belief, all we needed was a break.
- Speculation that China may adjust its own currency peg and allow the yuan to rise has also lent strength to the belief that Malaysia might follow suit.
- The strength of her belief, of her conviction, warped the dream around her.
- 1.6The cogency of an argument or case: the strength of the argument for property taxationMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The strength of the argument, however, lies not in its ability to convince but in what it removes.
- Many of you commented and added strength to the arguments (thanks again for that).
- Also, addressing people by correct name and title may put more strength to your argument.
- 1.7The potency, intensity, or speed of a force or natural agency: the wind had markedly increased in strengthMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Similar considerations to those we have just given show that the weak force changes in effective strength as the energy at which it is measured increases.
- As a hurricane gains strength, its barometric pressure reading drops.
- We just had a wind gust report down there on the coast of hurricane force strength.
- 1.8The potency or degree of concentration of a drug, chemical, or drink: it’s double the strength of your average beer the solution comes in two strengthsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In practice, even if patients were to take the wrong strength of these drugs it would make only a small difference, but for more toxic medicines it could prove fatal.
- The black market also makes judging the drug's strength impossible, making overdose a high likelihood.
- The clostridium virus is believed to have come from dirt used to cut the drug to reduce its strength.
- 2A good or beneficial quality or attribute of a person or thing: the strengths and weaknesses of their sales and marketing operation his strength was his obsessive single-mindednessMás ejemplos en oraciones
- America's economic strengths lie in qualities that are hard to distill into simple statistics or trends.
- As you might expect, he believes his physical attributes are his greatest strengths.
- But at the end of the day, everyone has their own unique attributes and strengths that drive them forward.
- 2.1 • literary A person or thing perceived as a source of mental or emotional support: he was my closest friend, my strength and shieldMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He was always such a strength in supporting us, not pulling back on things we held dear and believed in.
- At this time, we remind ourselves that God is our rock, our strength, and support.
- You are my strength and my song, my God. I trust in you and I shall not fear.
- 3The number of people comprising a group, typically a team or army: the peacetime strength of the army was 415,000Más ejemplos en oraciones
size, extent, magnitude
- In legal terms, these numbers don't count against the Army's end strength.
- The plan states that the army's numerical strength should be brought down to 42,100 people by 2004.
- We have got more than half the deployable strength of the U.S. Army there.
- 3.1The number of people required to make a group complete: we are now more than 100 officers below strength some units will be maintained at full strength while others will rely on reserves [in combination]: an under-strength sideMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Ballinakill were now back at full strength having been reduced to 14, midway through the opening half.
- If police can cut crime with their present manpower levels, imagine what they could achieve at full strength.
- Fortunately, Stackpole Community Council remains at full strength and a recent vacancy attracted interest from more than one candidate.
- From a secure or advantageous position: it makes sense to negotiate from strengthMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The Soviet Union could now negotiate from strength.
- The failure of the General Strike of 1926 underlined his belief that unions should negotiate from strength.
- He negotiated from strength with the Portuguese and was elected the first president of Mozambique in 1975.
go from strength to strength
- Develop or progress with increasing success.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Jill's confidence increased and she has gone from strength to strength with her equestrian skills.
- Scotland's sporting success goes from strength to strength.
- The bad news for those who are predicting Livingston will collapse is that McNeill expects his players to go from strength to strength as the season progresses.
- In large numbers: security forces were out in strengthMás ejemplos en oraciones
- After a US victory at the town of San Antonio in 1836, Santa Anna's forces moved north in strength to retake it.
- These fields spread out immediately through the universe without loss in strength.
- Reduced to only three corps in strength, its fighting force was gravely diminished almost from the start.
on the strength of
- On the basis or with the justification of: she got into Princeton on the strength of her essaysMás ejemplos en oraciones
because of, by virtue of, on the basis of
- No bank will hand over bank accounts on the strength of just a will, holographic or otherwise.
- Then take into account that the bank on the strength of my deposit can give out around four times my deposit.
- Not many singers can claim the credit of being popular in an alien language on the strength of just one song.
tower (or pillar) of strength
- A person who can be relied upon to give a great deal of support and comfort to others.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It is stomach-turning to realise that my parents, my pillars of strength and support, are victims of my wrongdoing.
- ‘McCrystal's been an absolute tower of strength for us this season and of course he's a massive loss,’ said O'Boyle.
- And while most of you will vehemently disagree with me, it is a pillar of strength to know that God is there with you and supporting you.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It appears almost impossible to elicit a strong full sound even with the mightiest sweep of the strings: it fades away immediately, and in the next moment it already echoes away strengthless in historically subdued vapours.
- My pace slowed back into its former, strengthless, heavy trudge.
- If he is out of tune why is he favourite, and if Leona sings with a strengthless whistle why is she second favourite.
Old English strengthu, from the Germanic base of strong.