Make or become stronger: [with object]: he advises an application of fluoride to strengthen the teeth [no object]: the wind won’t strengthen until after dark
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It spreads and strengthens and multiplies until it smothers anything trying to stifle it.
- Nicotine is the substance that reinforces and strengthens the desire to smoke.
- It strengthens muscles and increases endurance, which is very important during labour.
fortify, make strong/stronger, build up, give strength tobuttress, shore up, underpintoughen, temper, annealfortify, bolster, make stronger, boost, reinforce, harden, stiffen, toughen, fuelstep up, increase, escalate
informal up, crank up, beef upsupport, substantiate, back up, confirm, bear out, corroborate
strengthen someone's hand (or hands)
- Enable or encourage a person to act more vigorously or effectively.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In the short run the coup had the effect of strengthening his hand.
- That strengthens Pakistan's hand in its dealings with India.
- The float also strengthens its hand and will bring capital into the business that will be used to reduce debt.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Mr Proudfoot will use poultices to remove encrusted dust and grime before treating the stone with chemical strengtheners to prevent cracking and erosion.
- Calcium and vitamin D are good general bone strengtheners.
- Dips target your lower pectorals, triceps, and shoulders - they are an ideal upper-body strengthener.