Definición de sturdy en inglés:
adjetivo (sturdier, sturdiest)
- Already slender, he will lose five more pounds, a task made difficult by his sturdy skier's physique.
- Aidan was five, a sturdy boy with chubby arms and legs.
- The most magical things about Matthew Bugg's balletic Ariel are the flying effects; his sturdy body never quite fits his name.
- It was a nice one, made from strong wood and thatch, sturdy enough to withstand an Avalon hurricane, even with its second story.
- My only concern is whether the binding is sturdy enough to withstand the amount of use that this book is most likely to experience.
- The boat had to be sturdy enough to withstand 40 days and nights of rain.
- In my case it was Barnacarroll and there was no moaning about the walk just a sturdy determination to get on with it and be there for the great occasion.
- Because of her sturdy intellectual independence and integrity, Ravitch exempts no sect, ideology, or school from failure and folly.
- Is this the party of enterprise, of self-help, of sturdy independence?
sustantivoVolver al principio
Middle English (in the senses 'reckless, violent' and 'intractable, obstinate'): shortening of Old French esturdi 'stunned, dazed'. The derivation remains obscure; thought by some to be based on Latin turdus 'a thrush' (compare with the French phrase soûl comme une grive 'drunk as a thrush').
‘Reckless, violent’ and ‘rebellious, obstinate’ were the early meanings of sturdy, which comes from Old French esturdi ‘stunned or dazed’. This may be based on Latin turdus ‘a thrush’, a bird that used to be associated with drunkenness, probably because it was once common to see thrushes tottering around unsteadily after eating partly fermented grapes—there is a French expression soûl comme une grive, which means ‘drunk as a thrush’.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- His grandfather, who was Liberal MP for the county, finally took the roof off in the early 1950s, and the family is now confined to the more modest - and sturdily constructed - servants' quarters.
- When you see the state of the roads, you understand that only very sturdily built vehicles can withstand the potholes and obstacles.
- A handsome, long-haired, sturdily built dog, the Bernese Mountain Dog is jet black in colour, with rich russet markings on his legs, cheeks, spots over each eye, and on either side of the snowy white chest markings.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Living secluded from ordinary life fostered a spirit of modesty and sturdiness and they trained hard.
- He is not shy with his bouncer and England's batsmen had better check the sturdiness of their helmets.
- In a Canadian study, five types of angiographic balloon catheters were studied for their mechanical sturdiness and presence of loose particles resulting from blood contamination.
Palabras que riman con sturdybirdie, curdy, hurdy-gurdy, nerdy, vinho verde, wordy
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.