sustantivo (plural igual)
A minute insect that spends part or all of its life as an internal parasite of other insects, especially bees or wasps. The males are winged and the females typically retain a grublike form and remain parasitic.
- Order Strepsiptera, in particular genus Stylops, family Stylopidae
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Larval stages and female stylops of most families are internal parasites; adult males are free-living.
- All species are fairly similar in appearance and a typical example of a male stylops is illustrated opposite.
- The Strepsiptera, from the meaning of this name, may be called the twisted-wing parasites, though the words stylops and stylopid are frequently used in referring to them.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- How mature stylopids penetrate the intersegmental membranes of the host has not been described.
- Male stylopids look a bit like beetles, but the females look like small grubs, with no eyes, antennae or legs.
- Transferring onto such individuals as chance may permit, the stylopids finally arrive where larvae of the proper species are available and at once attack them.
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek stulos 'column' + ōps 'eye, face'.
Definición de stylops en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda