A shrub or small tree of the cashew family, with compound leaves, fruits in conical clusters, and bright autumn colors.
- Genera Rhus and Cotinus, family Anacardiaceae: several species, including the North American staghorn sumac (R. typhina), with densely clustered reddish hairy fruits, and poison sumac (R. vernix), with loosely clustered greenish-white fruits. Touching any part of the poison sumac can cause severe dermatitis
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- We also have a staghorn sumac tree and pussy willows.
- The most common forms included beech-like trees, poplars, willows, cattails, sumac, soapberry, and conifers such as pines, sequoias, and false cypress.
- Oak trees provide acorns, dogwoods and sumac provide red berries through the fall and winter and serviceberry bears edible berries in late spring or early summer.
Middle English (denoting the dried and ground leaves of R. coriaria used in tanning and dyeing): from Old French sumac or medieval Latin sumac(h), from Arabic summāḳ.
Definición de sumac en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional